Sunday, March 9, 2014

The Lookout

The Lookout written and directed by Scott Frank, starring Joseph Gorden-Levitt, Jeff Daniels, Mathew Goode and Isla Fisher.

I had never heard of this movie until a co-worker recommended it to me as he knows my desire to see about every movie known to man, or at least as close as I can get without going to far into the foreign film selection (sorry the torrential outpouring of Bollywood, Asian films, and insomnia inducing independent films just aren't on those lists).  I digress. 

And I've got say this was a little gem of movie that I'd never heard of.  It also goes to show what a good actor Joseph Gorden-Levitt has become over the years but even I've got to admit the scene stealer in this movie is the actor Matthew Goode.  I've seen him in other really good films (Stoker, Leap Year, and Watchmen) and in those films he has displayed an array of acting range as his screen presence is clearly on display.  In this film he dominates each scene he's in without being overbearing or exploding, it's just his sheer presence that commands attention.  He is that good.  Just watch the other films I mentioned that he's in to see what I'm talking about because even in those movies he doesn't shout or erupt onscreen.  He just acts and it's honestly a delight to see him on screen.  Honestly, I think he's just one movie away from reaching the Bradly Cooper stardom (do you remember him on the TV show Alias?  I do and at the time I thought he was one of the better actors on that show and the show was not as impressive when he wasn't on screen).  I've also got to say I think I would watch anything with Isla Fisher in it (which means I'm probably going to see the latest adaptation of The Great Gasby someday and I'll like her in that movie but then really want my time back from watching that movie).

Anyhow, this movie is worth tracking down to watch.  It owes a little bit to Nolan's Memento as it plays around with mental illness and film noir .  But ultimately this movie is it's own beast.  There's a solid screen play that is clearly focused on the main character and doesn't have too many scenes that aren't told from his perspective, which in movies made now-a-days is a bold move.  It's also a movie that actually has Act 1-3 where the first act really drops the viewer into the world of the main character easily connecting with the plight that is driving his life.  You want something to change him.  You long for something to change in his life.  Gorden-Levitt and Jeff Daniels really engage in this first Act, thoroughly convincing everything about the story and the world.  Track this movie down and watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment