Sunday, June 22, 2014

Hellboy Volumes 1 - 6

Hellboy Volume 1 - 6 created, written and most drawn by Mike Mignola, with various artists filling in in later stories.

After all of the comics I've read over the years to finally sit down and plow through the entire six volumes of Hellboy was fun, without a doubt.  But I've got to say I really like my stories with long arcs and definite ending.  Hellboy is loads of fun as Mignola plays with all sorts of myths, gods, and crazy ideas but I did find the lack of a long arc not as much fun as if it's there.  Then by saying that in the last two volumes finally there were three long arcs that dived into the past, the present and future of Hellboy and those were by far the best three stories I read throughout the whole six volume series.   As they added some much needed mythology and history to Hellboy that I felt he was lacking and only hinting at up until that point.

One of the best reasons to read these is for the gorgeous art by Mignola.  There really is no one else out there who even compares to line work he does and it is very refreshing for him to finally find a character that completely gels with his style.  I don't find to many artist where this happens and to gaze upon the marriage (and it is ultimately that) of Mignola and Hellboy is to see a blossomming relationship develop over time.  Mignola's love for Hellboy and the stories he tells with Hellboy is ever present in each and every volume.

Another reason I love Hellboy is that he is one of the truest blue collar superheroes out there.  He's always getting his hands and hooves dirty, getting beat up, not knowing what is always going on until it's to late, or just wanting to sit down and drink a beer.  This blue collar mentality I will always like about Hellboy because not very many superheroes have blue blood running through them.  A lot of them claim to have it but in the end it is mostly pretend - not so with Hellboy.



No comments:

Post a Comment