Saturday, January 31, 2015

DMZ

DMZ written by Brian Wood and illustrated by various artists.

I heard a lot about how good this series was.  I was intrigued by the premise.  It had a sort of Escape from New York feel to it but I've got to admit the execution of the idea dragged on as I could only get half way through this series when I just got bored.  I just found the main character a stagnate and he started to feel more like a prop than an actual character as the series went on. 

The series which started out with an arc, then started to dive into the monster of the week syndrome.  This is a shame because the story initially built itself on a cause and effect basis but this seemed to evaporate as the story went on.  The world building, which started out good, but seemed to forget itself as it started to feel like it was being made up on the fly instead of carefully planned out.

I've read far better series than this and do consider this one of the more overrated comics I've read.  It reads sort of like a Marvel or DC version in a gritty world with violence, sex, language, and more adult stories but still stuck in the clothes of superhero story telling.


No comments:

Post a Comment