Saturday, March 28, 2015

The Shining Girls

The Shining Girls written by Lauren Beukes.

There was a lot of hype going into reading this book.  I like the concept of the time traveling serial killer.  But I can't say that by the books end I was completely sold on the execution of the story.  I also like answers, answers of any kind are better than just floating questions marks or answers that don't seem to fit into world created. No answers are given by the books end, so on that part I wasn't fully sold on this book.

The one thing this book does have going for it is the main character.  Once her story finally kicked in the book really took off as her character was, literally, the driving force of the story.  So much so that when she wasn't on the page the story was lacking.  I can't say as I bought into the whole analogy of  book being about women's issues and how society is keeping women subjugated.  I understand these women "shine" who the killer is killing but there needed to be more explanation as to why they were shining instead of just leaving it up to the reader to decide why they were shining.  If they were shining and the killer was killing them wouldn't the future or time be affected in some way?  These are the answers that need to answered or even have the questions brought up.  Sadly this book is lacking in those areas.

Beukes does have great story telling abilities, as at times her ability to drew me into the world of the story were very similar to Stephen King - this is by no way a bad thing either.  She was very capable of describing the different times without overdoing it.  The main problem was is that it took way over 100 pages before I was fully engaged with the story and I found the serial killers scenes rather boring as they took me away from the story of the main character - who's very presence was enough to propel the story forward.  Such was such a force of nature and thoroughly detailed person that she completely dwarfed the serial killer in all ways possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment