Saturday, December 7, 2013

Bad Teacher

Bad Teacher directed by Jake Kasdan, starring Cameron Diaz, Justin Timberlake, and Jason Segel.

This was a first time in a long time I had a comedy weekend of watching movies.  For those of you who don't know I'm not that huge a fan of comedies, especially comedies made now-a-days because they seem to rely too much on shock or gross-out humor instead of subtly and wit.  I watched This is The End, The Heat, and Bad Teacher.  The worst one by far was Bad Teacher, while the other two were well worth the time it took to watch them, with The Heat being the best of the three.  But back to the focus of the review and I can tell you why I didn't fully buy into this movie.

The main reason is the main character Cameron Diaz plays.  I could never sympathize with her throughout the movie.  Her character had nothing I liked about her and I couldn't understand her character from the viewpoint of the movie.  She was a school teacher yet acted nothing like a college educated person and I couldn't really tell what she taught.  I think it was English, in fact the more I think about now, I'm sure it was English, but from what I know about English majors and Literature majors, Cameron Diaz didn't act like one at all.  I wonder how she even graduated from college, because, like I said above, she didn't act like teacher or even someone who had a four year degree.  She was shallow and extremely superficial, to a fault.  She cheated, stole, and manipulated without any form of scruples or conscience.  I felt more sorry for the so called "villain" of the movie because at least her motivation was justified for the good despite the fact she was supposed to be working against the main "hero".  

One of the easiest movies to compare this film with is School of Rock and I feel the comparisons are justified.  The story line is somewhat similar, only in School of Rock Jack Black's character actually wanted to help the kids he was teaching, and in Bad Teacher Diaz seems to do everything but teach the students in her class.  In fact the screenplay goes to great lengths to show how much she doesn't care, and I can say this, if she doesn't care, that was the same feeling I had towards her.  This can be contrasted with Black's character because when he started to care for the students in his class, it helped me care for him.  

The best part of this movie was Jason Segel.  He stole every scene he was in and completely brightened up the movie when he entered it.  Even Justin Timberlake was funny and nerdy in his role and it has been interesting watching him grow as an actor because I honestly didn't think he was going to make it.  I can admit when I was wrong about someone.









No comments:

Post a Comment