Saturday, December 28, 2013

Black Orchid

Black Orchid written by Neil Gaiman and illustrated by Dave McKean.

I know this is one of Gaiman's earliest works and shows.  It doesn't have near the focus or world building of Sandman and it reads as a very virgin work of his, thus I can't much compare it with his later works because of this.  Another thing about this story is that it shows the influence Alan Moore had in Gaiman's life as a writer.  Not only does this story have Swamp Thing in it (which is one of the superheroes that Moore helped to transform the comics scene with) but the story also has a Swamp Thing feel to it.  I can't blame Gaiman for this because I remember when I started writing and how I tried to copy ever author I knew.  I can't fault him for this.

This story reads very much like Swap Thing, the cliff notes version, as it deals with transformation and metamorphosis, plants and flowers play a big part in the story.  There's not really much to say about this book other than I'd recommend it for any fan of Gaiman who wants to read through his whole comic writing out put or if you're just in the mood for something that's technically a comic but doesn't read like your normal super hero comic. 

The artwork by Dave McKean is completely different from anything in the mainstream comic world and would be worth the read just to see his work in a comic instead of the many cover designs he's done in his career. 



No comments:

Post a Comment