Saturday, July 19, 2014

G. I. Joe Retaliation

G. I. Joe Retaliation directed by John M. Chu, starring Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and Bruce Willis.

I will say this for this movie, it was hugely better and more entertaining than the first Joe movie by leaps and bounds.  Even saying that though I don't mean this is a great film by any means but I was entertained for the time I watched.  The fact I wasn't expecting much out of the film I expect  contributed  to the entertaining factor and enjoyment I found while watching it.  But other than that this movie doesn't really do much than revel in the cliche, offering nothing new to the action genre nor to movies in general. 

Bruce Willis seems to be playing John McClane in every action movie he stars in even if his character isn't called John McClane.  The one thing I like about him doing that is that I don't think he's under the false impression that he's doing something great, he's just riding the road the character John McClane has provided for him: namely that is keeping him working.  In all honesty Willis playing any variation of John McClane in any movie is better than some actor being pretentious about a part their playing saying the screenplay is all of that or the story line really drew them to want to do the movie, when in all reality the whole thing is complete rubbish.  Willis doesn't seem to be under that pretension, which is why his movies still have a heart beat of honesty and entertaining ability even if they aren't always good. 

This movie is saved by Dwayne Johnson and Bruce Willis who really help everything come together and make the movie much better than the story line deserved. 






No comments:

Post a Comment