Sunday, May 18, 2014

The Secret of Wings

The Secret of Wings by Disney. 

I wrote this review over a year ago just so you know.
 
Got this for my little girl a few days ago since she was being such a trooper when my new little girl was being born. She just needed a little something special to lift her spirits from not having momma around; she's a real momma's girl and showed some great strength while her new sister was born. So we watched this a few nights ago for family movie night and I've got to admit it wasn't a half bad movie. 

This is one of the small things I've noticed while raising a girl: I really despise most of the products aimed at girls. That's not just a from a boy's perspective, it's from a perspective of a nerd and literary dissector. Why do girls things have to be so...not that much in depth when compared to boy things? Where is the plot? Where is the characterization? Where are the story arcs? Where is any form of mythology that will stimulate thinking? What do girls get instead? No plot or very simplistic types of stories with very little characterization to speak of and hardly any type of mythology or world building to stimulate thought. 

So I've got to applaud Disney for at least trying to bring some kind of mythology, plot, character, and world building to a girl's show and it was these very things that I really liked about this show and made it fun to watch. Then my daughter watched it the next morning when she woke with full encouragement from her nerd father. This is why I encourage her to watch the Avengers cartoon (and pretty much anything dealing with boys movies/cartoons) with her brother and myself (goodness I had as much fun watching those cartoons as they did) because boy does that cartoon have a depth that is seriously lacking in some adult movies. This is another reason why I'm always on the look out for girl things that break with the paradigm set up by marketing suits trying to fit my girl (now girls) into the mold they think they should fit in.

No comments:

Post a Comment