Sunday, November 9, 2014

Enemy

Enemy directed by Denis Villeneuve, starring Jake Gyllenhaal, Melanie Laurent, Sarah Gadon, and Isabella Rossellini.

I really liked this movie despite a lot of it being very ambiguous as to what was happening within the story line.  But I really felt enough information was given as to make everything that happens (especially the ending) actually have a meaning.  This is a very bizarre movie with a lot of double meaning behind images and dialogue spoken, but like I said before I think it all works.  If you are a fan of David Lynch films, then this is the movie for you, only with Lynch I never feel there is enough information given in the film to make a clear conclusion when the film ends. 

I will say this if you watch the film pay attention for anything related to spiders, from images resembling webs or strings that could be a web.  This is very important so pay look for these motifs as you watch it.  I knew about the ending before I saw this movie but it had no effect on the power of that single image when it finally arrives, which will either frustrate of intrigue you when it finally shows up.  For me it still haunts my thoughts these weeks after I saw it. 

This film is  beautifully shot with the production to match the visual setting.  It's directed by the same guy directed the equally beautiful movie Prisoners. With this movie Denis Villeneuve definitely sets himself up as a director to watch out for later on as his other films roll out.

I also included more movie posters than normally do because I really like the PR campaign for this movie and as these different posters show there is a lot more to this movie than meets the eye.  





No comments:

Post a Comment