Sunday, November 23, 2014

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Neon Genesis Evangelion the manga written and illustrated by Yoshiyuki Sadamoto.

I don't know when I'm ever going to get to see the anime version (and original) of this series so I did the next best thing and read through the manga series based on the anime version.  This is easily the best manga series I've ever read.  I liked the depth of the story line, the religious overtones and images, the technology, and the wild ideas presented here.  Everything mixed well together from the characters and story line.  Some things didn't fully gel together but the story and characters were so good I didn't care.

Giant mech robots battling giant monster Angels.  It was like Pacific Rim only with a lot more depth as the history of the bio-machines, Evangeline comes to light and other secrets are revealed throughout.  The teen angst in this series runs deep but I was able to put up with it because the idea so captivated me.  I didn't think the world building in this series did it any favors and if it had been further developed this would have been a true masterpiece of literature.  That is the one great failing of this series is that it didn't capitalize on the over all world in any way, shape, or form.

No comments:

Post a Comment