Saturday, April 23, 2016

Burnt

Burnt directed by John Wells, starring Bradley Cooper, Sienna Miller, Daniel Bruhl, Emma Thompson, Uma Thurman, and Alicia Vikander.

I read a lot bad reviews for this movie and all I can say is those reviews were partially right but mostly wrong.  This movie wasn't bad at all.  It's not a great film but it is infinitely better than most of the Hollywood slop that gets churned out by barrel loads.  I will also say this, I will watch Bradley Cooper in about anything.  This is his movie through and through. His character and persona totally dominate every frame of this film and the film is all the better for it.

 In fact it was an entertaining movie.  Not over staying its welcome and never once did I feel I was wasting my time.  It's wasn't some kind of pandering, political movie but was just a movie about a man that was his own worst enemy and about his him being able to handle and fight against himself.  I don't run across many movies like this.  Most movies seem to want to have a die hard enemy to battle with but not all movies need this if the main character is built right and interesting enough he or she can be their own worst enemy.  By doing that a movie takes a great risk in believing in the character to help sell the story but if pulled off it will always be an interesting movie.  

Cooper does an amazing job of building this flawed character that is at time an asshole but yet most times I found him completely interesting and sympathetic.  Then everyone else Cooper surrounded himself with in this movie did a great job of feeding off of him and selling this simple story of man versus man.  

No comments:

Post a Comment