Saturday, August 16, 2014

Divergent (movie)

Divergent directed by Neil Burger, starring Shailene Woodley, Theo James, Ashley Judd, Jai Courtney, Kate Winslet, Maggie Q, and Zoe Kravitz.

I didn't like the book and the problems I had with the book were even more amplified in the movie, thus making my enjoyment of the movie not that great.  And after reading the book and seeing the movie I don't understand how either one has taken off and become as successful as they've become.  Are people just that starved for this kind of story that they will buy into anything - even anything told on a completely mediocre level?  I guess they will apparently but then what do I know?  I guess not that much but I do know I didn't enjoy either the book or the movie.  I didn't like the book so much I was completely uninterested in reading the sequels and I had the same feeling after the credits rolled on the movie.  But the one thing the movie did have going for it ,that the book failed to capitalize on, is that in the movie I got a greater feel for the world outside of the city where as in the book I never got that feeling.

I never fully bought into the main character's transformation of a shy, quiet person into a total bad ass, it just doesn't ring true in the movie and has a falseness to it that is more distracting than accepting.  I still can't help shaking this feeling that I've seen this story line done better in other movies: Hunger Games being the prime example of which this story has to be modeled after.

My biggest gripe with this story is how the bad guys during the end of the movie quit being bad guys and turn into cliched villains.  Which isn't a bad thing but they have start out as cliched if they are going to be cliched throughout, otherwise the transformation from bad guys into cliched bad guys seems fake and is lazy.  Here's what I'm talking about.  At the end of the movie the bad guys are finding Diverts and killing them when they find them, right on the spot no questions asked.  But when they discover the two main characters as Divergent, what do they do?  They don't shoot them on the spot like they've done to every other Divergent they've found.  No, instead they bring them to main bad guy, who has also been disposing of Divergents left and right throughout the movie as we've been told, suddenly doesn't want to kill them right there but instead wants to re-brainwash one Divergent and kill the other Divergent in an undisclosed location, instead of you know just killing them right there.  Plot wise and character wise this makes no sense and completely looses me from the whole film, even though by time I was lost from the whole film anyhow.  I also hate how with basically just flick of the switch everything in the world can suddenly become back to normal - that also reeks of mediocrity and laziness.

I'm just not buying what I've was being sold.  Watch the Hunger Games instead because the horrible direction of the first film still couldn't hurt the story line of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment