Sunday, August 17, 2014

Lone Survivor

Lone Survivor directed by Peter Berg, starring Mark Walhberg, Ben Foster, Taylor Kitsch, Emile Hirsch, and Eric Bana.

Based on a true story.  And about one of the greatest elite fighting forces on the planet earth, the Navy Seals.  I can already tell you I was going to like this film.  I did, but I will still throw my critical eye upon this movie as I normally do.  I will still refuse to be blinded by bias or emotions unless I state so before I do a review but in any case even if those biases show up I still won't let them influence by review of the movie.  

I'm not a huge fan of Peter Berg from the films he's directed but I will say this, this is best directed movie by far as he showed some serious restrain by not going all shaky camera throughout this film.  Most directors would have used the rough, wooden, forest terrain as an excuse to run around blindly with a hand held camera - so the audience could be "there" in the action.  Berg does the opposite, instead he actually directed this movie and this movie was all the better for it, as his direction brought some serious tension to the action scenes because I could actually see what was going on.  I didn't feel lost when the action scenes rolled around.  He actually was in control of the story and action scenes which made his communication with the audience almost flawless.  While the actions scenes sparkled with life and the fact he actually directed the movie helped all the more to suck me into this mission gone horribly wrong for these four Navy Seals.  These Seals acted like the bad asses they are even the actors portraying them really helped to inject them with some life and authenticity.  I just wish they would have been given a little to handle with the characters. 

However the Seals needed more characteristics and personality, even some of those things being cliched would have helped.  A little more time at the base in the beginning wouldn't have hurt to gel them together a full functioning unit they are and help the audience to empathize with them more and see them not just as Seals but as people.  All in all I thought Act of Valor was a better movie as the story line and Seals in there seemed more like people and characters - whereas in Lone Survivor they were a little better than blank slats but more characteristics would have made this movie sparkle even more.  That is only really fault I found with the movie.

I was honored to see the dedication and intellect Seals have instead of just being portrayed as war torn, war hungry soldiers.  These are an elite fighting force where they are trained in war, tactical intellect, and killing.  It is there job and they do it very well.  This movie did a great job of showing what they do as a job, much like Act of Valor did as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment