Sunday, August 17, 2014

The Monuments Men

The Monuments Men directed by George Clooney, starring George Clooney, Matt Damon, John Goodman, Bill Murray, Cate Blanchett, Bob Blaban, and Jean Dujardin.

I didn't really know what to expect with movie but I've got to admit I ended up enjoying this movie a lot more than I had originally thought I would.  One of the reasons is that the screenplay was written with the characters in mind as well the historical setting, both of which played huge part in the movie being as good as it turned out.

George Clooney isn't the best director out there but he's a lot more competent than most of the flashy, fly by the seat of your pants directors.  He is definitely assured in his direction never letting the story or material get away from him and he sets up shots well, communicating with the audience with as less confusion as possible.  It does take a good director to do this.  This movie is no different as Clooney fully fleshes out the historical setting as it becomes as much a character in the movie as the main Monument Men themselves.  

An interesting part of the movie I found compelling was how it played with my emotions because when it started I didn't fully buy into what these guys were doing.  Wanting to risk their lives and lives of other soldiers for artwork.  I admit I questioned what they were doing and the answers I initially got made me not believe in their mission.  As the movie progressed further into them finding and recusing artwork, some of them dieing for the artwork I become won over in their mission and the insanity of what Hitler was doing.  They sold me on their commitment and showed me without preaching to me that what they were doing was worth doing.  I became, by the end of the movie, wholeheartedly invested with the mission and the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment