Sunday, February 15, 2015

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns written and illustrated by Frank Miller.

I haven't read this series in a long time but I  just had a sinking feeling that when reading it this time around I wasn't going to like it as much as I had before.  The main reason is, is that I've read a large volume of comics since then, so I have more to compare this story to than ever before.  I can honestly say the over all story, or more importantly the execution of the story, is over rated.  There are at least five plus books I would put a head of this comic in the over all story line.  But the idea of the story and what it represents to Batman is what keeps this comic holding on strong to its sure influence of the comic medium - that can't be denied and I won't even try to deny that.

I believe the over all execution of this this comic pales in comparison to some other comics out there but when this comic is compared to the superhero genre is stands as a literary masterpiece.  There's certain comics this can be compared to and then there's certain comics this can't be compared to because it fails in comparison.

I just wasn't as impressed with this comic, this time around.  I felt the narrative was stilted and fractured, which hurt the pacing of the story. The news broadcasts woven throughout the story became a hindrance to the pacing, they were more annoying and seemed more in vain with a typical superhero comic than in what Miller was trying to do here. I also felt the characters weren't fully explored like they could have been and Miller leaned too heavily on Batman mythology to earn anything that followed with his story.

The overall theme and arc of Bruce Wayne and Batman in story is what carries this comic from beginning to end but a lot of what happens in the middle gets jumbled.  I did like how this story brought out the grittiness of Batman, something that is truly there in his nature and fits like a glove.  The Batman and Superman fight was epic in all sense of that word.

No comments:

Post a Comment