Sunday, February 22, 2015

The Maze Runner

The Maze Runner directed by Wes Ball, starring Dylan O'Brien, Aml Ameen, Ki Hong Lee, Blake Cooper, Thomas Brodie-Sangster, and Kaya Scodelario.

The one thing, for my anyway, that kept me intrigued with this movie was the mystery of what the hell was going on?  This one hook was enough to make this movie good.  Along with a good production design that fully supported the mysterious nature of the story, thus making it a watchable movie that I didn't feel wasted my time.  A way better teen-the-world-is-an-apocalypse type of movie that normally comes out and there isn't some kind of love triangle either, for that it also gets another bonus.  I just wish the characters would have been more interesting and less cliched.

Having said all of that though, I found most of the characters motivations and inner logic completely dumbfounded and stupid.  Their choices seemed based on cliche elements from thrillers and suspense movies than anything from the circumstances surrounding the characters in the movie.  This is a shame though because if these things could have been better ironed out this movie would have been a seriously good movie verging on great where as now it a sub-par movie verging on almost good.  It did interest me enough that I might go out and read the books, such was the pay off the mystery, that I didn't feel let down buy it.  That is saying something in a world where good movie endings are few and far between.     

No comments:

Post a Comment