Wednesday, July 3, 2013

A Local Habitation

A Local Habitation by Seanan McGuire. 

I finished book 2 in the October Daye series and feel the same way about it as I felt about the first book: it's not a great book or series - so far - but there's enough fantastical things happening to keep me interested. 

McGuire does a great job of world building.  It really is an in depth fantasy world with many layers and it's these many layers that make it an interesting read, but her one problem still remains her characters. The characters in the book just don't seem to be as interesting as they need to be to keep a series like this going, but her world building makes up a little bit of that because I'm still interested enough that I'll continue with the series. I still have a problem with her plots because they aren't interesting enough either, which would be fine if she had interesting characters, then those characters could make up for a lack of a story. The whole detective thing doesn't work too well either because in both of the books I spotted the killer less than half way through the book. I don't know if this is intentional or not, but interesting characters - to harp on this more - would go far in this great world. 

It seems like there's a lot problems with the book.  There is, but even saying that I know I'm going to go eventually read the other books in the series just not like I did with the Dresden series, reading them one right after the other after the other after the other like popcorn. But if you're looking for a good urban fantasy series to pass the time you really can't go wrong with this series (so far) it meets those standards well and will do well giving you something to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment