Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Grave Mercy

Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers. 

This book was recommended to me by someone I know, so I read the synopsis of it and was intrigued, which then saw me going to the library to get it.  

It wasn't a bad read, but the only thing hindering this book from being really good was that for the subject matter it was written for the youth market. Killing people is the main subject of this book as it deals with a convent that trains girls to be assassins so you can see where I was intrigued, because this wasn't a subject that is normally dealt with in youth fiction. 

The opening scene promised a lot with its grim realistic treatment of girls in that time period and it was a bold move by the LaFevers to have an opening this in your face without being exploitative but then the rest of the book dovetailed into the typical teen romance novel with little surprises abounding. Despite the cliche ridden story I found myself in I still found myself liking the world LaFevers had created. But like I said before if this book had been written for adults I think the serious subject matter it deals will could have been treated in much more concrete way with more adult laced scenes that I think would have helped enhance the story immersed the reader better into the world. I've also got to say I'm sick of all this youth fiction being written in the first person, seeing all the first person narration makes me respect J. K. Rowling all the more for what she did with Harry Potter. She had his story connect to the reader with third person narration instead of being forced into the tell all world of first person narration where there is very little show and a world of tell. But all of this being said I will be reading the sequel to this book when it comes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment