Sunday, June 23, 2013

Doctor Who: Season One


Doctor Who: Season One. 

This is exactly what the doctor ordered. 

Jess and I finished off season one last night and are two episodes into season two already. Jess has already watched all the seasons of Doctor Who and right now I'm playing catch up - just writing that sentence makes Jess one hot babe and just thinking about it makes her even hotter, I definitely married the right woman. 

I grew up watching the old Doctor Who back in the 80's with my dad so I have some very fond memories of the wobbly sets, people definitely dressed in costumes pretending to be either a monster or an alien, and special effects consisting of sparklers and fire crackers. Finally growing up with Tom Baker, being the best actor to every play Doctor Who. So, I am very familiar with the budgets restraints of the old Doctor Who, but also those memories of the old Doctor have always filled me with a sense of joy that not many modern television shows can fill, despite all the money thrown at those shows, I could always tell Doctor Who had some genuine passion working behind the scenes. To me, Star Trek never seemed to have that kind of passion, but seemed more born from the sterile world it was creating. Farscape, Firefly and Babylon Five are three of the modern sci-fi shows, that in my opinion herald back the good old Doctor Who days, where passion was the name of the game not some corporation made product. That being said, I extremely like this new Doctor Who and thoroughly enjoy how they've updated the Doctor for a new generation. I like the fact there is still a cheesiness to the show, for me that just adds to the greatness of it. 

The two staple things that make a good Doctor Who episode still remain: storyline and of course the Doctor. Personally I think the story lines for this new Doctor are much better than the ones I watched and more in depth. They do the one thing Star Trek could never figure out, continue things from one episode into the next episode or future episodes. Things that happen in one episode will affect or be mentioned about later on.  That kind of continuity is something I've always liked, because to me it means the writers are really caring about what they're doing and they're paying attention to what is going on.  And unlike Soap Operas who seem to fly by the seat of their pants, the things that happen in here actually make sense and the characters remain true to who they are not changing because a certain story line demands it. Instead the characters remain true to who they are, unlike Star Trek, they don't go back to being who they are the next episode.  They change when a circumstance or incident makes them change and, like real life, they stay changed.  By doing that the writers want the viewer to pay attention and it means the viewer will be rewarded later on, if they chose to watch it all over again, as they will spot the little Easter Eggs planted in each episode. 

BBC picked the right actor to portray the Doctor and kick start the Doctor Who new season off. Christopher Eccleston brings such an interesting take on the Doctor and his wardrobe change is so dramatic that he perfectly washes away every actor who played the Doctor after Tom Baker and I think Eccleston could have possibly overtaken Tom Baker as a better Doctor if he had played in more episodes, but alas he is only 13 episodes.  But what a great 13 episodes they are. He has a such a playfulness about him and joy that it's truly fun to watch him play the Doctor and, where as most characters seem to run away when trouble arises, I like how the Doctor runs to the trouble because he wants to figure out what's going on. He is in a constant need of solving how things operate. He is the ultimate troubleshooter.  The Sonic Screwdriver really helps to establish him as a troubleshooter, and he's just about over the edge into being a true blue collar worker. Personally I think Hellboy is the truest all superheroes to be called a blue collar worker because he just makes it seem like his job is a 9-5 working job. I never get that feeling from the Doctor, which is why I wouldn't say he's a true blue collar worker, but, like I said, he's almost there. Now let's bring on who is considered the best Doctor Who, even better than Tom Baker, David Tennant. I'm really looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment