Sunday, June 30, 2013

Doctor Who: Season Two

Doctor Who: Season Two staring David Tennant and Billie Piper. 

This TV show has enough going for it to get my nerd blood flowing strong. There were only about two episodes in this 13 episode season that I would consider sub-par but all the others were so spot on I didn't care about those other two. One of the best things I like about the new Doctor Who, versus what I watched when I was kid, is how focused they are on character and involving other characters in the Doctor and his companion's travels. 

It's refreshing to see writers who actually care about the characters and the passion is always on display in this show. I like how they build on the mythology of the Doctor, his race the Time Lords and how it really affects him as a person. By doing this they really build his character and give more weight to the decisions and chooses he makes within each episode. 

I'm just really glad David Tennant has more than one season to be the Doctor because from what I've seen from him this season he has the potential to take down Tom Baker as the best Doctor. He brings such an energy and passion to the role that I wasn't quite prepared for. I thought Christopher Eccleston did such a fantastic job in the first season, but he needed more than one season to cement his status as better than Tom Baker, thankfully David Tennant is going to get that chance and from what I've seen I think he's going to do it. 

I also like how they writers aren't afraid to throw in the two part episodes as many shows seem to run from this kind of programming. They think viewers don't like it or are do dumb to follow continuing episodes, thankfully these writers seem to trust their viewers. Another thing I like is how funny these episodes are. There are many times I found myself laughing out loud from the comments of the Doctor brought on by his character and the writers seem to understand his character as they never let a situation dictate how his character would respond, but instead let the Doctor respond to the situation as he would respond. Too many writers seem to forget their character when writing as the character starts to act against their nature when situations arise for the sole sake of the story line. I absolutely hate that and these Doctor writers don't forget that, for that I am thankful. Looking forward to the rest of the season, thank you BBC and Neflix.

No comments:

Post a Comment