Sunday, June 16, 2013

Mortal Instruments Book Two: City of Ashes

Mortal Instruments Book Two: City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare.

This book was actually worse than the first book.  I cared even less about the two main characters in this book than I did in the first book.  They are just flat out annoying.  I kept wanting bad things to happen to them and when they did, I kept wanting those bad things to continue to happen to them.  But alas, it just wasn't meant to be.  It was to the point were I was cheering the villain on throughout this book, because he was so much more likable, and interesting than the two bland lead characters that were being forced onto me at every page and with every sentence.  I will not be reading the next books in this series anytime soon, this book annoyed me so much.  At least Rowling knew to focus on the story of Harry Potter versus the insane romance of a teenager, because crossing into that territory is like trying to solve the riddle of the Sphinx.  

This book also does the cardinal sin when a continuing series, and that is, to not really expand on the mythology of the world building.  The world Clare built is very interesting, with lots of layers and extra worlds, but instead of building this world she instead chooses to force on a love love triangle - or I should say it's now become more of a love octagon - onto the reader.  This whole teenage romance thing has just never done anything for me and makes the scenes between the two "star-crossed lovers" pathetic and dull to no end.  I just didn't care.  The main story line is so much more interesting than the emotional state of two characters I don't care about, but instead Clare chooses to focus on them, instead of what is interesting and that's the story line.  But then again who I am to argue, because these books have sold in the millions - so therefore I must be wrong.  Wait, The Davinci Code also sold in the millions and it was, literally, one of the worst written stories I've ever read and also had some of the worst cliche ridden characters I've every come across that they made Michael Bay's characters look like Shakespeare characters by comparison.  But ultimately what do I know?  The general public has spoken with their money, so therefore I must be wrong.

I really hated this book so much so, that the last 100 pages or so, I skimmed through the majority of the action scenes just to get to the conversation scenes so I could find out what was basically going on, so I could just finish the book and move onto something better.  I did much the same thing with Brown's book also, which had a good storyline and good ideas but the characters and plot twists were so forced, much like this book, that in the end I just gave up caring about what was going on and just wanted to end the insanity.

Now it's ended and I'm moving on to better things that don't have teen romance or love octagons that feel more at home in a daytime soap opera than a book like this.  It's a shame really because there is a good story here wanting to be told.

No comments:

Post a Comment