Saturday, June 22, 2013

Rosemary and Rue

Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire. 

This book is classified as urban fantasy which is basically taking the fantasy genre and putting it in our modern world and this book also adds  a detective/mystery to the story which seems to be the norm for this urban fantasy genre. I don't know why this is the case with urban fantasy, but that's a question best left for another post. 

I was basically looking for another series to fend off my hunger for a new Dresden, Song of Ice and Fire, The Way of Kings, or a King Killer Chronicles book - I didn't realize how many series I was reading and waiting for the new book to come out.  When I read about this series I figured I'd give it a try. 

The best thing McGuire does so far is world building. She creates a convincing world that blends the faerie magical world with the human world. Her main character October Daye isn't as full bodied as Butcher's Dresden and that's the one place McGuire's story lacks,which I'm hoping in later books will become more fleshed out. But she's a good writer and has created an interesting world well enough that I moved on to book two soon after finishing this one.

If you're in the a mood for an urban fantasy, mystery book you should give this book chance.  It will serve well to pass the time. Also this book has a good hook with the prologue and first chapter that had me highly more than interested in reading more when I read it and made me want to continue with the story. McGuire did a great job of setting of the prologue and first chapter enough that will urge the reader to continue to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment